How to get a prescription
We are able to dispense medicines to some of our patients. This applies to those patients who live more than a mile from a pharmacy, so all our patients who live outside of the town, or in a village without a chemist shop can request their medicines in the surgery. Please ask our dispensary team, who will be able to advise you and help you to get your medicines as easily as possible.
Your doctor, nurse practitioner, and sometimes nurse, will decide with you whether you need any prescription medication, and will give you a prescription form. If you live more than a mile from a pharmacy please take your form the our Dispensary who will dispense your medicines for you.
You may have a long-term health need that requires ongoing regular medication. Your doctor or nurse will give you a prescription form for medication which has a tear off section that you can use to get a repeat prescription. From time to time we will ask you to see your doctor or nurse practitioner to review your medication. We do this to monitor your illness and review medication. You must attend these review appointments.
To collect any prescriptions you must be aged 16 or over.
How to get repeat prescription
There are various ways in which you can order your repeat medication – please see below:
- You can use our Repeat Prescription Request form.
- You can e-mail us, but we cannot guarantee the security of your e-mail across the internet.
- We also offer a Managed Repeat Service which enables us to automatically issue what you need each month, you can use our Register for Online Services form or ask reception for further information, and details on how you can sign up for the system.
- You can drop off your repeat prescription form in to the box at the surgery during opening hours.
- You can pop it in to our letter box when we are closed.
- We also have a fax facility: Carnewater Bodmin 01208 78419 or Carnewater Lewannick
- Your slip may be presented at your designated Chemist in Bodmin who will bring it to us and you can collect the prescription from us within 3 working days.
Please note that we are not able to take requests for repeat medication over the phone.
Please remember that whichever system you use your prescription will normally be ready in 3 working day, so you need to allow yourself a few days grace so that you do not run out of medication.
Please ensure that your request clearly indicates the medication you require—If you are not using the repeat form please ensure that any note clearly shows the medication, strength and dose that you usually take.
Please do not simply tick all the boxes on your form, please only order the medication you need. Millions of pounds of NHS money are wasted every year on medication that is not needed.
If you live more than a mile from a community pharmacy we are allowed to dispense your medication. Ask at the dispensary if you think you may qualify.
We have a dispensary in both Bodmin and at our branch surgery in Lewannick.
We are a dispensing practice and have a comprehensive stock of medicines at our Bodmin Surgery. We are allowed to dispense to patients who live in rural areas, or more than a mile from the nearest chemist. If you don’t qualify for this service you must take your prescription to one of the community pharmacies.
Ask us about registering for our dispensing service if you think you qualify.
We are able to arrange for medication that we dispense to be collected from our branch surgery if you qualify for our dispensing service.
Occasionally we have to order an item not held in stock but we endeavour to obtain this item as promptly as possible.
If you have repeat medication we will keep a record on the computer. You will be asked to attend for a medication review at least annually.
Tips for Using the Dispensary
It takes 3 working days to process a prescription request and complete the order, and remember to allow extra time for bank holidays.
If you pay for your prescriptions, please remember to bring either cash, cheque book or credit or debit card to pay for them. We are unable to give you your prescription without payment so please do not put the staff in a difficult position by coming without any money.
When you collect your prescription please check that it is correct before leaving the surgery.
Prescription Charges and Exemptions
Extensive exemption and remission arrangements protect those likely to have difficulty in paying charges (NHS prescription and dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs).
The NHS prescription charge is a flat-rate amount which successive Governments have thought it reasonable to charge for those who can afford to pay for their medicines. Prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) offer real savings for people who need extensive medication.
- Prescription (per item): £9.00
- 12-month prepayment certificate (PPC): £104.00
- 3-month PPC: £29.10
If you will have to pay for four or more prescription items in three months, or more than 14 items in 12 months, you may find it cheaper to buy a PPC.
For telephone advice and to order call 0845 850 0030
For more information about prescription exemptions and fees please visit the NHS website.
You can also find out if you are entitled to free prescriptions.
Repeat Prescription Requests
It takes 3 working days to process a repeat prescription request, so excluding weekends and Bank Holidays. Any problems please telephone the surgery. Examples are shown below:
- Repeat request arrives before 16:00 on Monday – Prescription ready for collection on Thursday after 09:00.
- Repeat request arrives after 16:00 on Monday – Prescription ready for collection on Friday after 09:00.
- Before 16:00 Tuesday – Prescription ready after 09:00 on Friday
- Before 16:00 Wednesday – Prescription ready after 09:00 on Monday
- Before 16:00 Thursday – Prescription ready after 09:00 on Tuesday
- Before 16:00 Friday – Prescription ready after 09:00 on Wednesday
Remember to allow additional time for bank holidays, which are not working days and so do not count in the 3-day processing time.